Members - click icon to login
Speakers: Honorable Laura S. Taylor, Chief Judge, Bankruptcy Appellate Panel for the Ninth Circuit, Ilona Atonyan, Esq., Certified Family Law Specialist, and Ahren A. Tiller, Esq., Certified Bankruptcy Law Specialist
When: November 3, 2020 from 12:00 pm to 1:30 pm
Learn about the intersection of bankruptcy law and family law, and what to do when a Debtor files for bankruptcy while a dissolution matter is pending. Learn how bankruptcy filings by parties to family law and domestic relations litigation are affected, including:
• How types of bankruptcies differ in treating domestic support obligations;
• Impact of the automatic stay on both proceedings;
• Ability to discharge domestic support obligations; and
• Statutory priority of domestic support claims in bankruptcy
Once completed, you will be able to:
• Distinguish among the different types of bankruptcies and their effect on the dissolution proceedings;
• Recognize the breadth and applicability of the automatic stay;
• Understand the bankruptcy discharge and exceptions to it;
• Understand the order in which claims are paid in bankruptcy; and
• Determine the priority given by law to domestic support claims and equalization claims.
[This program is eligible for 1.0 hour CA MCLE credit.]
This program will be hosted via Zoom. A Zoom link and password will be provided to registrants in advance of the event.
SDBF Members: $10.00
SDBF Non-Members: $20.00
Law Students: FREE (Law Students must show a valid law school ID, and email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the event to confirm attendance).